While the home gym has previously made the top ten on the list of most popular and necessary rooms for homeowners, it landed in second place this year. Here’s more about it from the International Builders’ Show® (IBS) in Orlando, Florida.
February 8-10, 2022—The NAHB International Builders’ Show (IBS) 2022 offers a platform for product launches, educational sessions and home builder trends for residential construction professionals. Last year, four in five people in the United States owned at least one home fitness device, according to a Statista Global Consumer Survey in 2021; this year, the ‘What Home Buyers Really Want’ survey done by the NAHB found that 47% of homebuyers now deem home gyms necessary, making them the second most popular “specialty room” requested – behind the home office.
During this year’s IBS event, iFIT, the global leader in interactive connected fitness, is showcasing the importance of a personalized and smart workout experience as the official sponsor of smart fitness rooms in model show homes.
To explore the theme of a dedicated space for a home gym, the 2022 Builders’ Show made room for two reimagined homes: The New American Home (TNAH) and The New American Remodel (TNAR). Designed specifically for the show, the homes exhibit designated home exercise spaces, energy-efficient building concepts and innovative new products. Inside, both homes is an immersive at-home gym model, or “smart fitness rooms”, outfitted with leading NordicTrack and ProForm equipment, powered by iFIT technology that brings live and on-demand studio classes and global workouts right into the home.
“The machines are connected to iFIT technology and are guided by the iFIT app,” iFIT expert Colleen Logan said in an interview with ArchiExpo e-Magazine. “Our technology streams live, in-studio and global workout sessions filmed around the world. Since the machines are connected to a workout stream via the app, they’re adjusted automatically to the specifications of that workout.”
According to The New Consumer by Coefficient Capital, millennials and Gen X are increasingly interested in having an exercise room at home. As they’re in the prime of their consumer lives, the trend for home fitness rooms is expected to accelerate. In today’s climate, it’s no surprise we’ve seen a rise in purchasing home fitness equipment and home fitness rooms have become ever-present; yet, the idea isn’t to promote 100% stay-at-home measures. Notably, iFIT stands by its commitment to staying at the forefront of the evolving hybrid fitness landscape combining home, in-studio and outdoor exercise routines.
Its workout sessions are led by iFIT trainers in real-time or pre-filmed episodes that belong to a series. They take the users on a journey through beautiful visualizations that are packed with rich culture to create a story. One example is John Peel’s Costa Rica cycling series. Users can also decide which path they’d like to take on their own by entering a starting point and destination; iFIT’s partnership with Google Maps allows the app to integrate street views and data to signal to the machine the specifications for inclines and declines that match the typography.
Launched in 2021, the NordicTrack VAULT Fitness Mirror is but the latest example of smart fitness equipment using iFIT technology. Its heavy base makes it sturdy so it won’t move during training. It was created as a large, nice-looking fitness mirror within which we can store and lock away dumbbells and other materials for safety and tidiness. Most importantly, the mirror can be placed in any room, whether the user has a dedicated workout room.
“We’re aware of the fact that not everyone has the luxury of a dedicated separate room for fitness,” said Colleen Logan. “This product can be used as a mirror on its own; and when the training is in session, you can partly see yourself and fully see your trainer.”
As proper form is important, notably in strength training, it’s beneficial to see both the user’s position and the trainer.
iFIT’s Interactive Specialty Exercise Rooms
The following information was redacted by the team at NordicTrack:
iFIT’s interactive specialty exercise rooms were designed to include a full range of connected fitness equipment for cardio, strength and flexibility/yoga/recovery in a compact footprint of about 300 square feet.
- NordicTrack Commercial X32i Incline Treadmill: The NordicTrack X32i Incline Treadmill, powered by iFIT technology, offers interactive and engaging walks and runs of famous places, allowing users to explore the world from the comfort of their own home. On-demand workouts feature auto-adjust technology that allows iFIT trainers to automatically adjust the speed and incline in real time. Studio sessions, global workouts and cross-training options bring fresh, exciting challenges to workouts on these high-quality treadmills.
- NordicTrack Commercial S22i Studio Cycle: Join a world-class fitness community and cycle to success on the NordicTrack Commercial S22i Studio Cycle — a powerful exercise bike that allows users to experience the difference of in-home personal training. This luxury indoor exercise bike offers thousands of live and on-demand workouts led by elite trainers through the iFIT platform, and boasts a sharp but compact style and smooth ride. Users can easily track distance, speed and power output on the immersive 22-inch touchscreen display, all while following along with their favorite iFit trainers who can digitally adjust the incline, decline and resistance for a versatile workout experience. Silent Magnetic Resistance (SMR) and an inertia-enhanced flywheel deliver a smooth, quiet ride for a focused session, whether your workout takes you from Japan to Germany, or anywhere in between.
- NordicTrack FS14i Freestrider Elliptical: The NordicTrack FS14i Freestrider is a top-of-the-line treadmill alternative ideal for those looking for a low-impact form of exercise. Capture the power of three different stride profiles in one compact machine—stepper, elliptical and treadmill—while traveling the world through a growing library of on-demand global and studio workouts via the interactive iFIT platform. Energized workouts, with Automatic Trainer Control, harness a unique blend of muscle, stamina and cardio development where world-class trainers can auto-adjust the strider’s incline, decline and resistance in real time. Engineered with a 14-inch smart HD touchscreen and 26 levels of Silent Magnetic Resistance (SMR), users will discover invigorating challenges without giving up quiet convenience.
- NordicTrack Vault Fitness Mirror: The NordicTrack Vault is a premier home gym and fitness mirror that intimately pairs iFIT interactive training with innovative reflective technology and opens to a storage system for workout equipment. You can stream iFIT workouts such as strength training, cross training, HIIT, yoga and mindfulness sessions, all led by iFIT trainers on a stunning 32-inch Smart HD Touchscreen that provides immediate visual feedback. Sleek, elegant and compact, Vault has been designed to blend into your home and turn any room into a complete home gym. Working out has never been so convenient or inspiring.
- NordicTrack Select-A-Weight 55-pound Dumbbell Set: Enjoy a full gym weight set in one compact system. The NordicTrack Select-A-Weight 55-pound adjustable dumbbell set allows users to replace an entire weight rack with one, space-efficient set. An unparalleled home gym experience, these dumbbells intimately pair with the iFIT platform for energetic studio strength training to weight training in beautiful locations around the world. The easy-to-use, smooth weight selection system enables quick weight adjustment, from 10 to 55 pounds, so users can stay focused on their workout. Perfect for lifters with space restrictions, these adjustable dumbbells also come with fitted storage trays that securely store dumbbells when not in use and feature clearly-marked weight values for an informed workout.
- Nordictrack RW900 Rower: With the immersive iFIT platform, users can experience incredible rowing studio sessions or row all over the globe in breathtaking locales. World-class iFIT trainers automatically adjust the NordicTrack RW900 rower’s digital resistance for a high-energy, challenging workout. Then, hop off the rower for a myriad of strength training workouts or mindfulness sessions from iFIT. Between the ergonomic seat, soft touch ergonomic handle, 22-inch touchscreen and oversized pedals with quick-adjusting straps, users have all the comfort features needed for a high-powered fitness experience at home.
- NordicTrack Utility Bench: Follow iFIT strength training workouts with this NordicTrack Utility Bench. The adjustable angle provides flat, incline, decline and military positions to suit different weight exercises, and the high-density foam backrest provides sturdy comfortable support. This NordicTrack Utility Bench has an ergonomic design for comfort and safety, and the included exercise chart helps in creating new routines.